To date, there are 120 geoparks in 33 countries around the world, particularly in Europe and Asia. All these geoparks have recently been integrated into the new International Geoscience and Geoparks Programme of UNESCO and are now territories formally known as "UNESCO Global Geoparks". At the moment, there are 4 "UNESCO Global Geoparks" in Portugal and one in Brazil. This course aims to provide the conceptual bases on geoparks, present initiatives to be developed in geoparks and discuss examples of sustainable actions with real impact in these territories. This course also aims to give additional training to staff in nature conservation and land management, geologists, geographers, tourism and regional planning managers, as well as university students.
The four-week course is preceded by hands-on training a week (10-16 October 2016) on how to use the UMinho e-learning platform.
- Over 18 years old;
- Technical conditions: have a computer and a good internet access.
All students that complete any of the courses will be given a Certificate by the University of Minho.
Specific technical conditions are required to attend this course:
- 2GHz processor or faster
- 4 GB of RAM
- Broadband internet with 1.5Mb bandwidth minimum or faster
Monitor or graphic card that supports a 1024 x 768 resolution or higher.
- The use of mobile or satellite networks, as well as public place networks, can cause deficient computer performance and block your access to the learning materials
Headset + microphoneWebcam that allows videoconferences
- A lower resolution may not allow a correct display of contents.
* A CD/DVD might be necessary for the installation of software.
- Microsoft Windows (Windows 7 or the latest version)
- Apple MacOsX
It must allow Flash Player to work properly
- Google Chrome (46.0) or the latest version
- It must allow Flash Player to work properly
- Mozila Firefox (42.0) or the latest version
Mobile devices should be used as secondary or complementary form of access. In that case, you should install the following apps: BlackBoard Mobile Learning and BlackBoard Collaborate. To this effect you should select the correct IES.